We started with trying to find a good motor cheap, and decided pocket ATVs might be a good idea. After some searching we found a place that was local that had a HUGE warehouse filled with various quads and three wheelers that were in various states of busted. Amidst the wreckage we found an immaculate looking quad that someone had managed to blow out the entire rear end on within two days of their purchase and returned it. After some haggling, and agreeing to strip the quad ourselves and leave behind everything we didn’t want we were able to pick up the motor and suspension for 125 bucks and some elbow grease.
Next we cut and welded up the frame from the 1 inch square tubing, designed up some custom motor mounts, and suspension mounts and welded those on. Once all that was done we welded and bolted everything together and had a nice rolling frame with an engine mounted in it.
Next, we had to figure out how to steer this mammoth as obviously your standard servos just weren’t going to cut it. After some research, and trying out a couple “large scale” servos that just didn’t live up to their hype, we decided to make our own custom servos. Enter a car window lift motor and some potentiometers. Now with a Worm drive and some high torque motors steering and throttle/brake are a breeze.
Add an Arduino, A GPS module, and RC receiver and that about sums it up for now. We also have a custom controller we are working on for the project but we aren’t ready to show it off just yet. There is a lot more we plan on putting in to the buggy as well but are we are keeping out lips sealed on those for now as well.